How to start a jewelry business in 2022: Step-by-Step Guide
Identify your products.
Starting a jewelry business is difficult, regardless of your skill or motivation. There are many factors to consider and complications.
First, ask yourself: fashion or fine? Maybe your interest lies somewhere between. Each category has its materials, production processes, price point, and customer profile.
- Made from precious and semi-precious gems and metals
- Higher price points
- Made with exceptional craftsmanship and rarely mass-produced
- For the luxury/wedding/special occasion customer
Fashion and costume jewelry
- Usually fashionable
- Made from inexpensive or less-expensive metals and materials (beads/wire, plated metals, plastic, synthetic gems etc.).
- Lower price
- Can mass-produced
- Everyday customer
- This category includes jewelry made from mid-range materials, such as textile, metals and semi-precious gemstones. It also includes jewelry made with 3D printing or wood. Jewelry that is art, handmade, unique, or made to order.
- Design and uniqueness are the keywords.
- Prices vary but are usually in the middle of the range.
- Occasion/statement, design-savvy/collector/gift-giving customer
After narrowing down your target market for your startup jewelry company, it’s time to create a niche for your products. Your ideal customer can be classic, trendy, bride or socially conscious consumers. Decide whether your products are appropriate for the occasion (wedding, party or every day). This will affect how you market to your target audience.
Your brand should be unique.
The brand is not the same as branding. Your brand is your voice, mission and vision, and your brand story. Your potential customers will feel about your products if they have this information. Fashion purchases can be emotional. Emerging brands can connect with customers on a personal level even though they only have a business name. Tell your story via your About Page. Incorporate yourself into your social media posts and share the process and inspiration behind your designs.
Your jewelry brand’s packaging, logo and website design
Next is branding. The more tactical branding elements are the logo, packaging, business cards and website.
After you have established the aesthetic of your products, selected a business name relatable to your audience and created your customer profile, it will be much easier to establish a brand look. Even if your business is small, this is an important step. Don’t rush.
Get into production
How do you make jewelry? How you make, your jewelry depends on how complex it is, what materials you use, and what skill level. We’ll be discussing four methods for making jewelry.
- Handcrafted jewelry: Fine and unique
- Fashion and costume: handmade bracelets
- Factory outsourced for jewelry production
- Jewelry production: print on demand
- Establish a workspace or studio for your jewelry business
If you decide to make the jewelry yourself, you will need a space to hold your workshop. Consider the following when setting up this space:
- Maneuverability. Take into account the flow of the space, particularly if there are multiple steps. Do you move from one station or the next in a logical order?
- Safety. Jewelry making involves some chemicals and tools that require ventilation. You should check with your local laws regarding the use of these chemicals and related processes.
- Storage. Small parts require well-organized storage in multi-compartment containers.
Gillian, a creator of Canadian jewelry brand Hawley, says that safety and a jeweler’s bench are the most important considerations. A flex shaft is a versatile tool that can be used for drilling, finishing and polishing your pieces.